Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What I See In All Dramas



 A couple of semesters ago my English teacher made everyone in class watch TV shows, and TV ads for homework (amazing right?!) well as fun as it was, the whole point of the assignment was to see what the show or ad reflected in our culture. Well in some of the commercials that I watched, it reflected beauty (I was watching the CoverGirl ad). The ad as we all know, shows a celebrity having beautiful, healthy skin and saying "Easy, Brezzy, Beautiful, CoverGirl." To me the ad is saying, this is what beauty is, this is what you should look like, this is true beauty. That may be the case for other female audiences, however that's not what true beauty is, true beauty is accepting ourselves as we are and to have a good heart. That's true beauty in my opinion. So ever since that assignment my professor assigned, I always think to myself, "what does this drama reflect?"  There are several things that reflect what the Korean society wants/desires, and not only the Korean society, but ours as well. 
Here's what I've gathered from watching Korean dramas I may not have all of the themes down, but this is what I've gathered. ALL Asian dramas should reflect some if not all these things:
1. Love/True love
2. Money, Rags to Riches," fortune
3. Fame
4. Revenge
5. First Love
6. Music
7. Education
8. Royalty

Why do these dramas continually re-address these themes or ideas? Because they reflect what the society wants and desire. I still love Asian Dramas because it's more entertaining in my opinion. They may be predictable, but every show I watch is a new fresh idea. That's why I enjoy watching dramas. But most likely these dramas come out because the producers are reflecting what the society likes, and what we like is usually these things. I mean who wouldn't want fame and fortune?  I notice most drama's have these re-occurring themes. Of course not just Asian Dramas, but our media does it as well. Next time you watch TV, pay attention to the message behind the show or ad. You'll be surprised how often our media does this, and how often as a society we pay attention to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment